Re: _bt_parent_deletion_safe() isn't safe

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Jeff Amiel <becauseimjeff(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: _bt_parent_deletion_safe() isn't safe
Date: 2010-06-08 19:35:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> I realized this while thinking about Jeff Amiel's report here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2010-06/msg00351.php
> I can't prove that this is what's causing his crashes, but it could
> produce the symptom he's reporting.

Actually, no it can't: the case I'm envisioning should lead to throwing
this error:

elog(ERROR, "failed to delete rightmost child %u of block %u in index \"%s\"",
target, parent, RelationGetRelationName(rel));

a bit further up. That's annoying enough, but it's not a PANIC.

A search of the archives produces no evidence that anyone has ever
reported the "failed to delete rightmost child" error from the field.
So while I still think this is a bug that needs to be fixed, it may
be lower priority than I thought initially.