Re: Re: 7.2 items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Franck Martin <franck(at)sopac(dot)org>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, "'Lincoln Yeoh'" <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: 7.2 items
Date: 2001-05-14 14:39:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Franck Martin <franck(at)sopac(dot)org> writes:
> The uuidgen program creates a new universally unique identifier (UUID)
> using the libuuid(3)
> library. The new UUID can reasonably be considered unique among all
> UUIDs created on the
> local system, and among UUIDs created on other systems in the past and
> in the future.

"Reasonably considered"?

In other words, this is a 64-bit random number generator. Sorry, I
think the odds of collision would be uncomfortably high if we were to
use such a thing for OIDs ... certainly so on installations that are
worried about running out of 32-bit OIDs. It sounds to me like uuidgen
is built on the assumption that only relatively small numbers of IDs
will be demanded from it.