problem installing NPGSQL and pgOLEDB with .NET

From: RPK <rohitprakash123(at)indiatimes(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: problem installing NPGSQL and pgOLEDB with .NET
Date: 2007-02-24 05:55:31
Lists: pgsql-general

I have PostgreSQL 8.2 installed on Windows XP. I installed NPGSQL driver for
.NET and tried to register it's dll with following command:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\npgsql.dll

It displays error: "Could not be registered, entry point not found".

I copied the NPGSQL driver files in application folder, but when I open
VB.NET and attempt to ADD REFERENCE to it, VB.NET displays an error saying:
"A reference could not be added.". How to add reference to this driver?

Alternatively, I tried pgOLEDB. It got registered with regsvr32 but when I
try to create connection string, it does not connect to the postgres
database. It displays following error:

[Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider.
Unspecified error.]

I am left with the normal ODBC driver. It is working. Please also let me
know which driver delivers best performance.