Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Matthew <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "Aly S(dot)P Dharshi" <aly(dot)dharshi(at)telus(dot)net>, "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas
Date: 2005-10-16 17:56:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Matthew <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net> writes:
> Is it worth having a GUC variable that enables / disable this?

That's a given, I think. We're certainly not going to make smash-to-
lower-case the only available behavior.

One issue we might want to reflect on is how easy it should be to change
the variable's setting. Our bad experience with autocommit leaves me a
bit wary of fundamental behavioral changes that can be flicked on and
off at whim. However, we have pretty much the same problem staring us
in the face for backslash-in-literal-strings behavior, so maybe we can
find an answer we like for both issues at the same time.