Re: pgsql: Add basic TAP tests for psql's tab-completion logic.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add basic TAP tests for psql's tab-completion logic.
Date: 2020-01-05 01:57:28
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> writes:
> I've found the actual problem -- it's my ~/.inputrc. Which is read in by
> libreadline at some point (determined this using ltrace).

Ah-hah!

So what we really want here, I guess, is for the test script to suppress
reading of ~/.inputrc, on the same principle that it suppresses reading
of ~/.psqlrc. A quick look at the readline docs suggests that the
best way to do that would be to set envar INPUTRC to /dev/null --- could
you confirm that that works for you?

> Once I comment out the following two lines from ~/.inputrc, everything
> works fine on
> HEAD + HEAD-unset-TERM-in-tab-completion-test.patch:
> set colored-completion-prefix on
> set colored-stats on

Hm. I wonder how it is that that leads to ignoring the TERM environment?
Still, it's just an academic point if we can suppress reading the file.