Re: New Feature Request

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bert Scalzo <bertscalzo2(at)gmail(dot)com>, Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New Feature Request
Date: 2020-05-26 10:54:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-05-26 12:10, Bert Scalzo wrote:
> So far QIKR shows about a
> 2.5X improvement over the PostgreSQL optimizer when fed bad SQL. I am
> not saying the PotsgrSQL optimizer does a poor job, but rather that
> QIKR was designed for "garbage in, not garbage out" - so QIKR fixes all
> the stupid mistakes that people make which can confuse or even cripple
> an optimizer. Hence why I am looking for this hook - and have come to
> the experts for help. I have two very large PostgreSQL partner
> organizations who have asked me to make QIKR work for PostgreSQL as it
> does for MySQL. Again, I am willing to pay for this hook since it's a
> special request for a special purpose and not generally worthwhile in
> many people's opinions - which I cannot argue with.

Your project seems entirely legitimate as a third-party optional plugin.

I think the post_parse_analyze_hook would work for this. I suggest you
start with it and see how far you can take it.

It may turn out that you need a hook after the rewriter, but that should
be a small change and shouldn't affect your own code very much, since
you'd get handed the same data structure in each case.