Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit

From: "Trevor Talbot" <quension(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Laurent Duperval" <lduperval(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit
Date: 2007-10-20 16:40:20
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On 10/17/07, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 02:40:14AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Maybe we should put an #ifdef WIN32 into guc.c to limit max_connections
> > to something we know the platform can stand? It'd be more comfortable
> > if we understood exactly where the limit was, but I think I'd rather
> > have an "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that" than random-seeming crashes.
>
> Yeayh, that's probably a good idea - except we never managed to figure out
> where the limit is. It appears to vary pretty wildly between different
> machines, for reasons we don't really know why (total RAM has some effect
> on it, but that's not the only one, for example)

I tried generating idle connections in an effort to reproduce
Laurent's problem, but I ran into a local limit instead: for each
backend, postmaster creates a thread and burns 4MB of its 2GB address
space. It fails around 490.

Laurent's issue must depend on other load characteristics. It's
possible to get a trace of DLL loads, but I haven't found a
noninvasive way of doing that. It seems to require a debugger be
attached.