Re: tsearch filenames unlikes special symbols and numbers

From: "Trevor Talbot" <quension(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Oleg Bartunov" <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tsearch filenames unlikes special symbols and numbers
Date: 2007-09-03 07:26:09
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On 9/2/07, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Right, traditionally the only characters forbidden in filenames in Unix are /
> and nul. If we want the files to play nice in Gnome etc then we should
> restrict them to ascii since we don't know what encoding the gui expects.
>
> Actually I think in Windows \ : and . are problems (not allowed more than one
> dot in dos).

Reserved characters in Windows filenames are < > : " / \ | ? *
DOS limitations aren't relevant on the OS versions Postgres supports.

...but I thought this was about opening existing files, not creating
them, in which case the only relevant limitation is path separators.
Any other reserved characters are going to result in no open file,
rather than a security hole.