Re: Postgres : Queries

From: Christof Glaser <gcg(at)gl(dot)aser(dot)de>
To: "J M" <j_manchanda(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres : Queries
Date: 2004-04-11 13:38:50
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi Jyoti,

[also posted to the list]

On 08.04.2004 at 15:08 J M wrote:

> I have created some users without any password and granted them
> permissions for the various DB's and the tables.
>
> after that i have modified the password of the users usign the ALter
> Table Command. but even after this I am still being able to logon
> without specifying the password, though when I executed the Alter
> table command, success was returned.

Login authentication is set in the file pg_hba.conf. Probably the
password authentication is
switched off (ie authentication mode is "trust") for users from local
host.

So something like this will force password checks:

# Host Database Users authentication mode
local mydb all passwd

There might be a line like:

local all all trust

which should stay intact. It must come after the line above, as
Postgres goes through the file
line by line and stops on first match for host/database/user. This
basically means that more specific lines must come first to have any
effect.

See also the docs on authentication, as well as the comments in
pg_hba.conf. There are a lot of options, allowing very fine grained
access control.

> Can you help me on this. As a reminder I am working on the version 7.2
> of postgres.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Jyoti

Best regards,

Christof
--
-- gl.aser . software engineering . internet service
-- Doelitzer Strasse 37 . D-04277 Leipzig . fon +49-341-303 20 51