Re: BUG #1860: Insert failed due to unique index

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Viswanath Ramineni" <v_ramineni(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1860: Insert failed due to unique index
Date: 2005-09-04 22:31:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Viswanath Ramineni wrote:
>> I have a table with a primary key on id (integer) column and a unique
>> index on varchar(10) column. Insertion fails when the value of the
>> unique column is substring of an existing value. For example, if I
>> have a row with the unique column value 'TEST1', it will not allow me
>> insert another row with 'TEST' as the value for this column.

> Please show the exact sequence of commands that leads to this situation.

This is probably the bug that was introduced here:

* src/backend/utils/adt/: oracle_compat.c, varlena.c: Add small
hack to support use of Unicode-based locales on WIN32. This is not
adequately tested yet, but let's get it into beta1 so it can be
tested. Magnus Hagander and Tom Lane.

and fixed here:

* src/backend/utils/adt/varlena.c: The idea of using _strncoll() on
Windows doesn't work. Revert to same code as we use on other
platforms when encoding is not UTF8.

Non-unicode comparison on Windows was pretty thoroughly broken during
that interval :-(