Re: Bug in GiST paring heap comparator

From: Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Subject: Re: Bug in GiST paring heap comparator
Date: 2019-09-16 12:44:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 13.09.2019 20:17, Alexander Korotkov wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 5:23 PM Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
>> I have moved handling of NULL ordering keys from opclasses to the common
>> SP-GiST code, but really I don't like how it is implemented now. Maybe it's
>> worth to move handling of NULL order-by keys to the even more higher
>> level so,
>> that AM don't have to worry about NULLs?
> Yes, optimizer could remove away "col op NULL" clauses from ORDER BY
> if op is strict operator. And then such clauses wouldn't be passed to
> AM. But I see this as future improvement. For backpatching we should
> solve this at AM side.
>
>> Also I leaved usages of IndexOrderByDistance in opclasses. I think, that
>> may help to minimize opclass changes in the future.
> Could you please extract this as a separate patch. We can consider
> this for master, but we shouldn't backpatch this.

Propagation of IndexOrderByDistance in SP-GiST was extracted into a separate
patch #2.

--
Nikita Glukhov
The Russian Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Fix-GiST-and-SP-GiST-ordering-by-distance-for-NULLs-v3.patch text/x-patch 23.0 KB
0002-Use-IndexOrderByDistance-in-SP-GiST-user-functions-v3.patch text/x-patch 13.8 KB