Re: Portable database ... ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Florian v(dot) Savigny" <lorian(at)fsavigny(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Portable database ... ?
Date: 2009-02-20 15:42:09
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Florian v. Savigny" <lorian(at)fsavigny(dot)de> writes:
> Is there any way to have the Linux and the Windows versions of
> PostgreSQL use the same database? (On a double-boot machine.)

In principle that could work ...

> When trying this, I ran into trouble as soon as I tried to initiate a
> database on a VFAT partition while running Linux. That seemed to fail
> because VFAT does not support (sym)links:

... but you need to use a real file system ;-). On Windows I believe
that PG's data directory must be on an NTFS partition. So the question
becomes whether your Linux system is able to access an NTFS partition.

You might have better luck with a remotely mounted data directory
(across NFS or some such). There are reliability gotchas with that
sort of setup, but frankly if you're doing something like this I doubt
that 100% bullet proofness is achievable anyway.