Re: Yum Update Errors

From: Bruce Hyatt <brucejhyatt(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bob McConnell <rmcconne(at)lightlink(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Yum Update Errors
Date: 2009-06-11 17:20:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- On Thu, 6/11/09, Bob McConnell <rmcconne(at)lightlink(dot)com> wrote:

> baffled.
> dependency of
> >> it
> library file to see
> >> whether it
> >> I'm not familiar with ldd and the man page doesn't
> give much detail
> >> but it looks like they're all there.
> >
> > I also tried "yum provides libpq.so.3" which returned
> > compat-postgresql-libs-3-2PGDG.rhel4.i686 and I do
> have that RPM
> > installed.
> >
> > I thought this might be due to CentOS upgrading from
> 4.7 to 4.8 so I
> > tried "yum upgrade" and got the same error (Missing
> Dependency:
> > libpq.so.3 is needed by package...).
> >
> > I first thought this was a Linux/yum problem and I
> asked in a CentOS
> > forum first but it all revolves around Postgresql
> packages and the
> > most recent Postgres update.
> >
> > Is there anything left except reinstalling Postgres?
>
> Does yum think it is missing because it can't find it, or
> because it is not listed in its internal index as having
> been installed by yum?

It appears that yum only fails to find it when trying to update to the latest version of Postgresql.

I also ran "yum resolvedep" on the file and it said on the last line that the required package is installed. There WERE also other lines that appeared to be older versions of packages which returned "PGDG83" which is a Postgresql 8.3 repository and, I believe, I have that repository in my .conf file. I can send the printout of that command later if it would help.

Sincerely,
Bruce Hyatt