Re: Interruptible sleeps (was Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Yay, Kevin! Thanks, reviewers!)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Interruptible sleeps (was Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Yay, Kevin! Thanks, reviewers!)
Date: 2010-08-28 01:11:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> The way the background writer wakes up periodically to absorb fsync requests
>> is already way too infrequent on a busy system.

> Maybe instead of a fixed-duration sleep we could wake it up when it
> needs to do something.

*Any* fixed delay is going to be too long for some people and not long
enough for others; and the very same system might fall into both
categories at different times of day. I don't think "make
bgwriter_delay customizable" is an adequate answer. We've put up with
that so far because it wasn't possible to do better given the
infrastructure we had for waiting; but if we're going to try to improve
the infrastructure, we should have the ambition of getting rid of this
type of problem.