Re: missing chunk number 0 for toast value

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "BJ Taylor" <btaylor(at)propertysolutions(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: missing chunk number 0 for toast value
Date: 2008-09-25 17:30:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

"BJ Taylor" <btaylor(at)propertysolutions(dot)com> writes:
> Here are some recent logs from our system. Unfortunately, I didn't think to
> grab the logs at the time I killed those processes, and now they are gone.
> I found those processes by using ps, and then I killed them with a simple
> kill *processid*. Here are samples of our current log files:

Huh. That would have generated SIGTERM, which should at least mostly be
safe. We did recently fix a couple of problems with cleanup after
SIGTERM but they were both pretty low-probability risks. Anyway,
you've definitely got issues now:

> PANIC: right sibling's left-link doesn't match: block 175337 links to
> 243096 instead of expected 29675 in index "dbmail_headervalue_3"

Try reindexing that index, and any other ones that you see complaints
about.

> You also asked how it is being unstable. It drops connections seemingly at
> random. The error received when a connection is dropped is the following:

> WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process

Well, that's just the fallout from a PANIC in some other session; if you
weren't watching the session that actually crashed, you need to look in
the postmaster log to see what went wrong.