Re: Development of cross-platform GUI for Open Source DBs

From: "Ritesh Nadhani" <rn(dot)mailing(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Development of cross-platform GUI for Open Source DBs
Date: 2006-11-29 01:33:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello All

Sorry for the late reply. Been a little busy with my assignments.

I will try to answer all the queries in this mail.

The reason I don't want to develop the project in wxWindows or a C/C++
based toolkit is that in the end I would be able to compile a binary
which will have least dependency and can be bundled for downloaded in
a single binary. With my experience while developing and selling
SQLyog, I came across many customers who were working on a slow dial
up connection for whom downloaded a 10MB package was also a pain. I
have had customers who just had plain vanilla Win98 machines and
SQLyog used to run great on it.

Another reason why suggested wxWidgets is because I have worked with
it before and I am comfortable with the system. As somebody suggested,
even wxPython looks good as Python greatly increases the speed of
implementation.

Also, IDEs like Delphi etc. are out of question as I cant afford to
buy the licenses.

I have no experience with XUL but it looks good. I am not sure, how
easy is to design GUI with lots of forms etc, with XUL. Writing an
initial prototype in XUL will make things more clear.

Even though I am not related to Webyog (developer of SQLyog) anymore,
I had started a project up there called SQLyog Max (which didn't work
due to time constraints rather then technological constraints) and we
even released one BETA release that had support for both MySQL and
PostgreSQL.

I believe developing an actual prototype would help our cause more
then just deciding upon which tool kit to use. My semester gets over
on 15th December. I plan to sit with it after that. Right now I am
thinking of an architecture which can support something like this.

If you have any idea how something like should be designed or
architectured, please provide me with your invaluable suggestions.

In other related question, my primary desktop of usage is Mac OS X but
I will be buying a Ubuntu box soon so expect decent development
parallely in Mac and Linux. I am not sure about Windows but if we
write correct wxWidgets/wxPython code, it should be a 0 issue to get
it compiled in Windows.

Ritesh