Timeline ID hexadecimal format

From: Sébastien Lardière <sebastien(at)lardiere(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Timeline ID hexadecimal format
Date: 2023-01-27 13:52:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I've been puzzled by this message:

~~~
LOG:  fetching timeline history file for timeline 17 from primary server
FATAL:  could not receive timeline history file from the primary server:
ERROR:  could not open file "pg_xlog/00000011.history": No such file or
directory
~~~

It took me a while to understand that the timeline id 11 in hexadecimal
is the same as the timeline id 17 in decimal.

It appears that the first message is formatted with %u instead of %X,
and there some others places with the some format, while WAL filename
and history file used hexadecimal.

There is another place where timeline id is used : pg_waldump, and in
these tools, timeline id ( -t or --timeline ) should be given in
decimal, while filename gives it in hexadecimal : imho, it's not
user-friendly, and can lead to user's bad input for timeline id.

The attached patch proposes to change the format of timelineid from %u
to %X.

Regarding .po files, I don't know how to manage them. Is there any
routine to spread the modifications? Or should I identify and change
each message?

best regards,

--
Sébastien

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1_0001_timelineid_hexadecimal_format.patch text/x-patch 11.2 KB