Re: ICU collation variant keywords and pg_collation entries (Was: [BUGS] Crash report for some ICU-52 (debian8) COLLATE and work_mem values)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ICU collation variant keywords and pg_collation entries (Was: [BUGS] Crash report for some ICU-52 (debian8) COLLATE and work_mem values)
Date: 2017-08-07 21:50:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8/6/17 20:07, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> I've looked into this. I'll give an example of what keyword variants
> there are for Greek, and then discuss what I think each is.

I'm not sure why we want to get into editorializing this. We query ICU
for the names of distinct collations and use that. It's more than most
people need, sure, but it doesn't cost us anything. The alternatives
are hand-maintaining a list of collations, or installing no collations
by default. Both of those are arguably worse for users or for future
code maintenance or both.