Re: select issue with order v8.1

From: Terry <td3201(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: select issue with order v8.1
Date: 2010-02-26 21:52:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Terry <td3201(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>>> This and the previous poster's advice both worked.  Thank you.
>>> However, I am having another issue where the application is not
>>> viewing a 'serial' data type as a number.  Clearly none of this is a
>>> postgres issue.  Stupid programming.
>>>

>> Based on my above comment.  Is there a way to create a view or
>> something that presents the serial column as an integer?  In the end,
>> that's what it is but on the insert side it is incrementing the number
>> for the underlying app.  I'm not a SQL guy but that's my understanding
>> anyways.  I could even perhaps do a table copy process and simply make
>> the destination type an integer rather than a serial?    Just thinking
>> out loud.  Anyone have an idea here?
>
> You could alter it to an int, then create a sequence with the same
> start as the old sequence and assign it as default for the int.

I am somewhat confused. My app is detecting it as a serial data type
but describing the table shows that its an integer. What am I
missing?

dssystem=# \d clients_event_log
Table "public.clients_event_log"
Column | Type |
Modifiers
ev_id | integer | not null default
nextval('clients_event_log_ev_id_seq'::regclass)