Re: pgsql: Clean up role created in new subscription test.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2023-12-01 11:37:02
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 01/12/2023 13:22, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 8 Nov 2023, at 13:32, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> I suppose you're just thinking of using PQexec() or whatever, run one
>> query with sufficient ORDER BY, save the result, and at the end of the
>> test run just run the same query and compare that they are cell-by-cell
>> identical? This sounds a lot simpler than the patch you posted.
>
> I found some spare cycles for this and came up with the attached. The idea was
> to keep it in-line with how pg_regress already today manipulate and traverse
> _stringlists for various things. With the addition of the 0001 patch to clean
> up global objects left in test_pg_dump it passes check-world.

Do we want to impose this policy to all extensions too?

> + /*
> + * Store the global objects before the test starts such that we can check
> + * for any objects left behind after the tests finish.
> + */
> + query_to_stringlist("postgres",
> + "(SELECT rolname AS obj FROM pg_catalog.pg_roles ORDER BY 1) "
> + "UNION ALL "
> + "(SELECT spcname AS obj FROM pg_catalog.pg_tablespace ORDER BY 1) "
> + "UNION ALL "
> + "(SELECT subname AS obj FROM pg_catalog.pg_subscription ORDER BY 1)",
> + &globals_before);
> +

Strictly speaking, the order of this query isn't guaranteed to be
stable, although in practice it probably is. Maybe something like this:

(SELECT 'role', rolname AS obj FROM pg_catalog.pg_roles
UNION ALL
SELECT 'tablespace', spcname AS obj FROM pg_catalog.pg_tablespace
UNION ALL
SELECT 'subscription', subname AS obj FROM pg_catalog.pg_subscription
) ORDER BY 1, 2

Is it OK to leave behind extra databases?

--
Heikki Linnakangas
Neon (https://neon.tech)