Re: Declarative partitioning - another take

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Declarative partitioning - another take
Date: 2017-04-28 09:29:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 2017/04/28 7:36, David Fetter wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:30:54AM +0900, Amit Langote wrote:
>> On 2017/04/27 1:52, Robert Haas wrote:
>>>
>>> Do we need to update the documentation?
>>
>> Yes, I think we should.  How about as in the attached?
>>
>> By the way, code changes I made in the attached are such that a subsequent
>> patch could implement firing statement-level triggers of all the tables in
>> a partition hierarchy, which it seems we don't want to do.  Should then
>> the code be changed to not create ResultRelInfos of all the tables but
>> only the root table (the one mentioned in the command)?  You will see that
>> the patch adds fields named es_nonleaf_result_relations and
>> es_num_nonleaf_result_relations, whereas just es_root_result_relation
>> would perhaps do, for example.
>
> Did I notice correctly that there's no way to handle transition tables
> for partitions in AFTER STATEMENT triggers?

Did you mean to ask about AFTER STATEMENT triggers defined on
"partitioned" tables?  Specifying transition table for them is disallowed
at all.

ERROR:  "p" is a partitioned table
DETAIL:  Triggers on partitioned tables cannot have transition tables.

Triggers created on (leaf) partitions *do* allow specifying transition table.

Or are you asking something else altogether?

> If not, I'm not suggesting that this be added at this late date, but
> we might want to document that.

I don't see mentioned in the documentation that such triggers cannot be
defined on partitioned tables.  Is that what you are saying should be
documented?

Thanks,
Amit