Re: micro-optimizing json.c

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Davin Shearer <davin(at)apache(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: micro-optimizing json.c
Date: 2023-12-07 23:43:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2023-12-07 at 17:12 -0600, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> Here's a patch that removes a couple of strlen() calls that showed up
> prominently in perf for a COPY TO (FORMAT json) on 110M integers.  On
> my
> laptop, I see a 20% speedup from ~23.6s to ~18.9s for this test.

Nice improvement. The use of (len = ...) in a conditional is slightly
out of the ordinary, but it makes the conditionals a bit simpler and
you have a comment, so it's fine with me.

I wonder, if there were an efficient cast from numeric to text, then
perhaps you could avoid the strlen() entirely? Maybe there's a way to
use a static buffer to even avoid the palloc() in get_str_from_var()?
Not sure these are worth the effort; just brainstorming.

In any case, +1 to your simple change.

Regards,
Jeff Davis