Re: [HACKERS] pgbench - allow to store select results into variables

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pgbench - allow to store select results into variables
Date: 2018-08-14 19:10:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 08/14/2018 01:44 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> writes:
>> I have no doubt that some MUA around would forget to do the conversion.
> FWIW, one reason that I invariably use patch(1) to apply submitted patches
> is that it will take care of stripping any CRs that may have snuck in.
> So I'm not particularly fussed about the problem.

I also use patch(1), although probably mainly out of laziness in not
changing habits going back to the CVS days ;-)

You obviously commit far more patches that I do, but I don't normally
see patch complaining about CRs, which is why I raised the issue.

> I'm not excited about encouraging people to use application/octet-stream
> rather than text/something for submitted patches. If you use text then
> the patch can easily be examined in the web archives; with
> application/octet-stream the patch has to be downloaded, adding a lot of
> manual overhead. (At least, that's true with my preferred web browser,
> maybe it's different for other people?)

You might have a point. Compressed patched can be particularly annoying.
Most other things my browser will download and pop unto geany for me.

cheers

andrew

--

Andrew Dunstan https://www.2ndQuadrant.com