Re: Memory Usage and OpenBSD

From: Anton Maksimenkov <anton200(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Jeff Ross <jross(at)wykids(dot)org>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Memory Usage and OpenBSD
Date: 2010-02-09 10:18:10
Lists: pgsql-general

2010/1/28 Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>:
>> related to maximum per-process data space.  I don't know BSD very well
>> so I can't say if datasize is the only such value for BSD, but it'd be
>> worth checking.  (Hmm, on OS X which is at least partly BSDish, I see
>> -m and -v in addition to -d, so I'm suspicious OpenBSD might have these
>> concepts too.)
>
> Isn't the usual advice here is to log the ulimit setting from the pg
> startup script so you can what it really is for the user at the moment
> they're starting up the db? (I think some guy named Tom mentioned
> doing that before.)

I think that "su" is enough:

root(at)testbed:/root
# su -l _postgresql
$ ulimit -a
time(cpu-seconds) unlimited
file(blocks) unlimited
coredump(blocks) unlimited
data(kbytes) 1048576
stack(kbytes) 8192
lockedmem(kbytes) 672777
memory(kbytes) 2016764
nofiles(descriptors) 768
processes 1024

I think Jeff will get almost same values with login.conf showed above.
--
antonvm