Allow +group in pg_ident.conf

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Allow +group in pg_ident.conf
Date: 2023-01-09 13:00:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Over at [1] I speculated that it might be a good idea to allow
+grouprole type user names in pg_ident.conf. The use case I have in mind
is where the user authenticates to pgbouncer and then pgbouncer connects
as the user using a client certificate. Without this mechanism that
means that you need a mapping rule for each user in pg_ident.conf, which
doesn't scale very well, but with this mechanism all you have to do is
grant the specified role to users. So here's a small patch for that.

Comments welcome.

cheers

andrew

[1] https://postgr.es/m/6912eb9c-4905-badb-ad87-eeca8ace13e7@dunslane.net

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
ident-plus-role.patch text/x-patch 4.5 KB