Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Jesse Zhang <sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2023-08-12 21:03:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-08-11 Fr 19:02, Tom Lane wrote:
> Peter Geoghegan<pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> writes:
>> My workflow up until now has avoiding making updates to typedefs.list
>> in patches. I only update typedefs locally, for long enough to indent
>> my code. The final patch doesn't retain any typedefs.list changes.
> Yeah, I've done the same and will have to stop.
>
>> I guess that I can't do that anymore. Hopefully maintaining the
>> typedefs.list file isn't as inconvenient as it once seemed to me to
>> be.
> I don't think it'll be a problem. If your rule is "add new typedef
> names added by your patch to typedefs.list, keeping them in
> alphabetical order" then it doesn't seem very complicated, and
> hopefully conflicts between concurrently-developed patches won't
> be common.

My recollection is that missing typedefs cause indentation that kinda
sticks out like a sore thumb.

The reason we moved to a buildfarm based typedefs list was that some
typedefs are platform dependent, so any list really needs to be the
union of the found typedefs on various platforms, and the buildfarm was
a convenient vehicle for doing that. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't
manually add a typedef you have added in your code.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan