Re: Duplicate values found when reindexing unique index

From: "Mason Hale" <masonhale(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Duplicate values found when reindexing unique index
Date: 2007-12-31 18:48:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Something else interesting about that: the apparent interloper page
> contains just a single WAL record, which appears to be a shutdown
> checkpoint bearing the timestamp "Thu Dec 27 2007, 16:55:01 EST".
> Not sure if Mason can correlate that with any recent activity...

Nothing jumps to mind, but I'll crawl through the logs looking for anything
interesting.

I'm starting to think that Occam's razor says you've got hardware
> problems. Or maybe a kernel-level bug that is causing writes to get
> discarded.

For what its worth, we do closely monitor the server for RAID and kernel
errors and haven't seen either variety reported in quite some time.

If it is some mysterious hardware or kernel error -- any suggestions for how
I should go about narrowing that down?

Finally, if it would help to see the full wal segment files, let me know and
I will email individually. (I assume the list doesn't want 32MB of
attachments).

Mason