Re: HOT readme missing documentation on summarizing index handling

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: HOT readme missing documentation on summarizing index handling
Date: 2023-07-06 22:14:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Yeah, README.HOT should have been updated, and I see no reason not to
backpatch this to v16. Barring objections, I'll do that tomorrow.

I have two suggesting regarding the README.HOT changes:

1) I'm not entirely sure it's very clear what "referential integrity of
indexes across tuple updates" actually means. I'm afraid "referential
integrity" may lead readers to think about foreign keys. Maybe it'd be
better to explain this is about having index pointers to the new tuple
version, etc.

2) Wouldn't it be good to make it a bit more explicit we now have three
"levels" of HOT:

(a) no indexes need update
(b) update only summarizing indexes
(c) update all indexes

The original text was really about on/off, and I'm not quite sure the
part about "exception" makes this very clear.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company