Re: [HACKERS] Re: Improve OR conditions on joined columns (common star schema problem)

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <jim(dot)nasby(at)openscg(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Improve OR conditions on joined columns (common star schema problem)
Date: 2018-02-02 12:41:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/04/2018 11:50 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> I wrote:
>> Jim Nasby <jim(dot)nasby(at)openscg(dot)com> writes:
>>> I've verified that the patch still applies and make check-world is clean.
>
>> Not any more :-(. Here's a v3 rebased over HEAD. No substantive
>> change from v2.
>
> Again rebased up to HEAD; still no substantive changes.

ISTM this patch got somewhat stuck as we're not quite sure the
transformation is correct in all cases. Is my impression correct? If
yes, how to we convince ourselves? Would some sort of automated testing
(generating data and queries) help? I'm willing to spend some cycles on
that, if considered helpful.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com