Re: Hooking into ExplainOneQuery() complicated by missing standard_ExplainOneQuery

From: Andrei Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Mats Kindahl <mats(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hooking into ExplainOneQuery() complicated by missing standard_ExplainOneQuery
Date: 2024-03-06 02:26:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/3/2024 06:25, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Just to elaborate: the intention was to allow a section to be added to
>> every node in the plan containing information from further down and also
>> allow this information to propagate upwards. We happen to have buffer
>> information right now, but allowing something similar to be added
>> dynamically by extending ExplainNode and passing down a callback to
>> standard_ExplainOneQuery.
>
> Or an extra hook at the end of ExplainNode() to be able to append more
> information at node level? Not sure if others would agree with that,
> though.

We already discussed EXPLAIN hooks, at least in [1]. IMO, extensions
should have a chance to add something to the node explain and the
summary, if only because they can significantly influence the planner
and executor's behaviour.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/6cd5caa7-06e1-4460-bf35-00a59da3f677%40garret.ru

--