Re: Index bloat, reindex weekly, suggestions etc?

From: "Tory M Blue" <tmblue(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Віталій Тимчишин <tivv00(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index bloat, reindex weekly, suggestions etc?
Date: 2008-11-04 01:30:51
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Віталій Тимчишин <tivv00(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> 2008/10/17 Tory M Blue <tmblue(at)gmail(dot)com>
>>
>> The real issue is my index growth and my requirement for weekly
>> re-indexing (which blocks and therefore is more or less a manual
>> process in a live production environment (fail over, changing vips
>> etc).
>
> BTW: Can't you simply recreate indexes online? Since postgresql accepts
> multiple indexes of same definition, this may look like:
> 1) create index concurrently index_alt
> 2) analyze index_alt
> 3) drop index_orig
> Both index_alt and index_orig having same definition

Sorry for the late response. After some testing, this is in fact a
solution that will and does work. It's really much simpler than doing
switch overs and taking systems down to re index.

Thanks for the clue stick over the head, I know we looked into this in
the past and it was a non starter, but it seems to be working just
fine!!

Thanks

Tory.