Re: Change prefetch and read strategies to use range in pg_prewarm ... and raise a question about posix_fadvise WILLNEED

From: Cédric Villemain <Cedric(dot)Villemain(at)abcSQL(dot)com>
To: Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Change prefetch and read strategies to use range in pg_prewarm ... and raise a question about posix_fadvise WILLNEED
Date: 2024-03-06 15:23:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Nazir,

thank you for your review. I comment below.

On 05/03/2024 12:07, Nazir Bilal Yavuz wrote:
>> 2. The second one does implement smgrprefetch with range and loops by
>> default per segment to still have a check for interrupts.
> It looks good codewise but RELSEG_SIZE is too big to prefetch. Man
> page of posix_fadvise [1] states that: "The amount of data read may be
> decreased by the kernel depending on virtual memory load. (A few
> megabytes will usually be fully satisfied, and more is rarely
> useful.)". It is trying to prefetch 1GB data now. That could explain
> your observation about differences between nr_cache numbers.

From an "adminsys" point of view I will find beneficial to get a single
syscall per file, respecting the logic and behavior of underlying system
call.

The behavior is 100% OK, and in fact it might a bad idea to prefetch
block by block as the result is just to put more pressure on a system if
it is already under pressure.

Though there are use cases and it's nice to be able to do that too at
this per page level.

About [1], it's very old statement about resources. And Linux manages a
part of the problem for us here I think [2]:

/*
 * Chunk the readahead into 2 megabyte units, so that we don't pin too much
 * memory at once.
 */
void force_page_cache_ra(....)

>> Q: posix_fadvise may not work exactly the way you think it does, or does
>> it ?
>>

>> In details, and for the question:
>>
>> However, if instead you provide a real range, or the magic len=0 to
>> posix_fadvise, then blocks are "more" loaded according to effective vm
>> pressure (which is not the case on the previous example).
>> As a result only a small part of the relation might be loaded, and this
>> is probably not what end-users expect despite being probably a good
>> choice (you can still free cache beforehand to help the kernel).

I think it's a matter of documenting well the feature, and if at all
possible, as usual, not let users be negatively impacted by default.

> [...]
>> ------------
>> 132744
>> (1 row)
>> ```
>>
>> # Checking results:
>>
>> ```
>> postgres=# select block_start, block_count, nr_pages, nr_cache from
>> vm_relation_cachestat('foo',range:=1024*32);
>> block_start | block_count | nr_pages | nr_cache
>> -------------+-------------+----------+----------
>> 0 | 32768 | 65536 | 320
>> 32768 | 32768 | 65536 | 0
>> 65536 | 32768 | 65536 | 0
>> 98304 | 32768 | 65536 | 0
>> 131072 | 1672 | 3344 | 320 <-- segment 1
>>
>> ```
>>
>> # Load block by block and check:
>>
>> ```
>> postgres=# select from generate_series(0, 132743) g(n), lateral
>> pg_prewarm('foo','prefetch', 'main', n, n);
>> postgres=# select block_start, block_count, nr_pages, nr_cache from
>> vm_relation_cachestat('foo',range:=1024*32);
>> block_start | block_count | nr_pages | nr_cache
>> -------------+-------------+----------+----------
>> 0 | 32768 | 65536 | 65536
>> 32768 | 32768 | 65536 | 65536
>> 65536 | 32768 | 65536 | 65536
>> 98304 | 32768 | 65536 | 65536
>> 131072 | 1672 | 3344 | 3344
>>
>> ```
>>
>> The duration of the last example is also really significant: full
>> relation is 0.3ms and block by block is 1550ms!
>> You might think it's because of generate_series or whatever, but I have
>> the exact same behavior with pgfincore.
>> I can compare loading and unloading duration for similar "async" work,
>> here each call is from block 0 with len of 132744 and a range of 1 block
>> (i.e. posix_fadvise on 8kB at a time).
>> So they have exactly the same number of operations doing DONTNEED or
>> WILLNEED, but distinct duration on the first "load":
>>
>> ```
>>
>> postgres=# select * from
>> vm_relation_fadvise('foo','main',0,132744,1,'POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED');
>> vm_relation_fadvise
>> ---------------------
>>
>> (1 row)
>>
>> Time: 25.202 ms
>> postgres=# select * from
>> vm_relation_fadvise('foo','main',0,132744,1,'POSIX_FADV_WILLNEED');
>> vm_relation_fadvise
>> ---------------------
>>
>> (1 row)
>>
>> Time: 1523.636 ms (00:01.524) <----- not free !
>> postgres=# select * from
>> vm_relation_fadvise('foo','main',0,132744,1,'POSIX_FADV_WILLNEED');
>> vm_relation_fadvise
>> ---------------------
>>
>> (1 row)
>>
>> Time: 24.967 ms
>> ```
> I confirm that there is a time difference between calling pg_prewarm
> by full relation and block by block, but IMO this is expected. When
> pg_prewarm is called by full relation, it does the initialization part
> just once but when it is called block by block, it does initialization

Not sure what initialization is here exactly, in my example with
WILLNEED/DONTNEED there are exactly the same code pattern and syscall
request(s), just the flag is distinct, so initialization cost are
expected to be very similar.
I'll try to move forward on those vm_relation functions into pgfincore
so it'll be easier to run similar tests and compare.

> I run 'select pg_prewarm('foo','prefetch', 'main', n, n) FROM
> generate_series(0, 132744)n;' a couple of times consecutively but I
> could not see the time difference between first run (first load) and
> the consecutive runs. Am I doing something wrong?

Maybe the system is overloaded and thus by the time you're done
prefetching tail blocks, the heads ones have been dropped already. So
looping on that leads to similar duration.
If it's already in cache and not removed from it, execution time is
stable. This point (in cache or not) is hard to guess right until you do
check the status, or you ensure to clean it first.

> [1] https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/posix_fadvise.2.html#DESCRIPTION

[2] https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/mm/readahead.c#L303

My apologize about the email address with sub-address which leads to
undelivered email. Please update with the current one.

---
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
https://Data-Bene.io
PostgreSQL Expertise, Support, Training, R&D