Re: Dell PowerEdge 2950 performance

From: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: "Bucky Jordan" <bjordan(at)lumeta(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dell PowerEdge 2950 performance
Date: 2006-08-14 18:28:11
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Aug 9, 2006, at 11:56 AM, Bucky Jordan wrote:

> Here’s the hardware:
>
> 2xDual Core 3.0 Ghz CPU (Xeon 5160- 1333Mhz FSB, 4 MB shared cache
> per socket)
>
> 8 GB RAM (DDR2, fully buffered, Dual Ranked, 667 Mhz)
>
> 6x300 10k RPM SAS drives
>
> Perc 5i w/256 MB battery backed cache

Is the PERC 5/i dual channel? If so, are 1/2 the drives on one
channel and the other half on the other channel? I find this helps
RAID10 performance when the mirrored pairs are on separate channels.

Your transfer rate seems pretty good for Dell hardware, but I'm not
experienced with SAS drives to know if those numbers are good in an
absolute sense.

Also, which driver picked up the SAS controller? amr(4) or aac(4) or
some other? That makes a big difference too. I think the amr driver
is "better" than the aac driver.