Re: standby replication server throws invalid memory alloc request size , does not start up

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: Vijaykumar Jain <vjain(at)opentable(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: standby replication server throws invalid memory alloc request size , does not start up
Date: 2018-06-28 13:26:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

You need to worry, very much, that your setup did not preserve data write ordering when the power went out.

- you might have fsync turned off in PG
- you might be using a non-journaled filesystem
- your disks might be cheating on sync commands (consumer grade disks are notorious for this)
- you might be using consumer-grade flash that can't flush its cache on power loss

This highly unlikely to be a PG bug, and you do need to worry that it could have been the master if you had been less lucky.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com