RE: Who is a maintainer of GiST code ?

From: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
To: "'Oleg Bartunov'" <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Who is a maintainer of GiST code ?
Date: 2000-12-20 00:08:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > AFAIR, none of the index access methods except btree
> > > handle NULLs at all --- they just ignore NULL values
> > > and don't store them in the index.
>
> and what does this error means ?
>
> create table rtree_test ( r box );
> copy rtree_test from stdin;
> \N
> ........ total 10,000 NULLS
> \.
>
> create index rtree_test_idx on rtree_test using rtree ( r );
> --ERROR: floating point exception! The last floating point
> operation either exceeded legal ranges or was a divide by zero
>
> seems rtree doesn't ignore NULL ?

No, it doesn't. As well as GiST. Only hash ignores them.
And there is no code in GiST & rtree that take care about NULL
keys. It's probably ok for GiST which is "meta-index" -
index/type methods implementator should decide how to handle NULLs.
As for rtree - seems it's better to ignore NULLs as we did before
for single key btree: rtree is just variation of it.

Vadim