RE: Alternative database locations are broken

From: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
To: "'Peter Eisentraut'" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Alternative database locations are broken
Date: 2000-11-03 21:23:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> With the new oid file naming, the alternative database
> location feature has disappeared. Not good.
>
> Also, is there any merit in keeping the #ifdef
> OLD_FILE_NAMING code path?

No one. I've removed some of old code but not all, sorry.

> I could probably go through and fix this, but I'm not fully
> aware about the larger plan of table spaces that's apparently
> sneaking in here (cf. RelFileNode.tblNode).

This would be very appreciated. Table spaces will be in 7.2,
hopefully. For the moment tblNode is just database OID
(InvalidOid for shared relations). I think that to handle
locations we could symlink catalogs -
ln -s path_to_database_in_some_location .../base/DatabaseOid

TIA,
Vadim