Re: SetQuerySnapshot() for utility statements

From: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
To: "'pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SetQuerySnapshot() for utility statements
Date: 2000-10-19 11:20:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I notice that ProcessUtility() calls SetQuerySnapshot() for FETCH
> and COPY TO statements, and nothing else.
>
> Seems to me this is very broken. Isn't a query snapshot needed for
> any utility command that might do database accesses?

Not needed. We don't support multi-versioning for schema operations.
More of that, sometimes it would be better to read *dirty* data from
system tables - so, no snapshot required.

What is really, hm, not good is that first SetQuerySnapshot defines
serializable snapshot for *all* transactions, even for ones with read
committed isolevel: in the times of 6.5 I thought about ability to switch
between isolevels inside single xaction - this is not required by standard
and *bad* for system: just remember that vacuum doesn't clean up deleted
tuples if there is some transaction *potentially* interested in them. For
read
committed xactions must be no serializable snapshot defined and
MyProc->xmin must be updated when *each* top-level query begins.

Vadim