Re: [HACKERS] Clock with Adaptive Replacement

From: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Юрий Соколов <funny(dot)falcon(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Clock with Adaptive Replacement
Date: 2018-04-30 10:39:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 30 апр. 2018 г., в 0:48, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> написал(а):
>
> On 2018-04-25 11:31:12 +0500, Andrey Borodin wrote:
>>
>> 1. Teaching BgWriter to used data from eviction strategy to aggressively flush data to disk (instead of ++next_to_clean )
>> 2. Implementing strategies as lock-free algorithms for freelist
>> These parts seem most important for benchmarking.
>> Also:
>> 3. Converting all rings to single buffer manager where possible
>> 4. Using O_DIRECT while writing data files
>> 5. Using aio and scheduling of writes
>> These parts are not necessary, but most challenging, while not impossible though.
>
> These largely seem to be increasing the scope beyond reason...

I suspect that performance benefits can be not that big or even marginal, if we do not extend comprehensive eviction strategy with bgwriter fixes and O_DIRECT.
But, on the other hand, this suspicion is not based on any real fact. And if eviction strategy is actually good for anything it will show performance benefits on it's own.

> 30 апр. 2018 г., в 0:39, Юрий Соколов <funny(dot)falcon(at)gmail(dot)com> написал(а):
>
> (btw, why no one mention CLOCK+ in this thread).

I do not know what CLOCK+ is. Can you, please, send me a reference.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.