Re: [HACKERS] removing abstime, reltime, tinterval.c, spi/timetravel

From: Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] removing abstime, reltime, tinterval.c, spi/timetravel
Date: 2018-10-09 23:17:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Oct 9, 2018, at 12:22 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As discussed below (at [1]), I think we should remove $subject. I plan
> to do so, unless somebody protests soon-ish. I thought it'd be better
> to call attention to this in a new thread, to make sure people had a
> chance to object.

I have no objection, but I'm curious, when retiring a datatype and
associated functions, do the Oids that were assigned to them become
available for new uses, or do you have to expire them to avoid breaking
pg_upgrade and such? Retiring built-in types and functions seems
rare enough that I've not seen how this is handled before.

mark