Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures

From: Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Asko Oja <ascoja(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Martin Pihlak <martin(dot)pihlak(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures
Date: 2008-08-20 08:24:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Am 19.08.2008 um 20:47 schrieb Tom Lane:

>> Joshua Drake wrote:
>>> Is our backpatch policy documented? It does not appear to be in
>>> developer FAQ.
>
>> Seems we need to add it.
>
> I'm not sure that I *want* a formal written-down backpatch policy.
> Whether (and how far) to backpatch has always been a best-judgment
> call
> in the past, and we've gotten along fine with that. I think having a
> formal policy is just likely to lead to even more complaints: either
> patching or not patching could result in second-guessing by someone
> who feels he can construe the policy to match the result he prefers.

Agreeing to you and some later posters in this thread, I would not
vote for a formal policy either. But IMHO there should be a general,
informal note about backpatching in developer docs/faqs. A place where
you can point to, and a chance for new people to read about the
postgres way of handling backpatching.

Btw., how backpatching is handled here is one of the reasons I trust
my data to postgres.

Best Regards
Michael