Re: Extension Facility

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extension Facility
Date: 2009-07-23 15:02:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jul 23, 2009, at 2:11, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
wrote:

> Well the problem with that is if for example I define foo() and bar()
> functions in my extension, and the user also has a foo() function in
> his
> own stuff (possibly lying in public, say).
>
> Now if in my extenion in function bar() I call foo(), how do I make
> sure
> I'm calling my extension's foo()?

Part of the behavior of CREATE EXTENSION would be to automatically
schema-qualify references to objects in the extension. Or perhaps
extension authors would need to use some sort of variable for the
schema that would be properly resolved when CREATE EXTENSION installed
an extension.

Those are the first ideas that come to kind for me, anyway.

Best,

David