Re: Making background psql nicer to use in tap tests

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, mikael(dot)kjellstrom(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Making background psql nicer to use in tap tests
Date: 2023-04-07 23:14:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 8 Apr 2023, at 00:59, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:

>>> Staring at this I've been unable to figure out if there an underlying problem
>>> here or a flaky testrun, since I can't reproduce it. Maybe the animal owner
>>> (on cc) have any insights?
>>
>>> The test has passed on several different platforms in the buildfarm, including
>>> Linux, Solaris, macOS, NetBSD, FreeBSD and other OpenBSD animals. It also
>>> passed in an OpenBSD VM running with our Cirrus framework.
>>
>> prion and mantid have now failed with the same symptom. I don't
>> see a pattern, but it's not OpenBSD-only. It will be interesting
>> to see if the failure is intermittent or not on those animals.

morepork has failed again, which is good, since intermittent failures are
harder to track down.

> It would be interesting to know how far in the pumped input they get, if they
> time out on the first one with nothing going through? Will investigate further
> tomorrow to see.

Actually, one quick datapoint. prion and mantid report running IPC::Run
version 0.92, and morepork 0.96. Animals that pass are running 20180523.0,
20200505.0, 20220807.0 or similar versions. We don't print the IO::Pty version
during configure, but maybe this is related to older versions of the modules
and this test (not all of them apparently) need to SKIP if IO::Pty is missing
or too old? Somewhere to start looking at the very least.

--
Daniel Gustafsson