Re: Column Aliases WAS: Prepping to break every past release...

From: decibel <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Column Aliases WAS: Prepping to break every past release...
Date: 2009-03-17 20:08:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mar 14, 2009, at 1:26 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Yes, I think aliasing (especially at the table level) would be handy.
>
> We already *have* table aliases. They're called "views". What we
> don't have is column aliases.

A view is not the same as a table alias. Even if you take into
account the new updatable views, you're still hosed if you add a
column to the table. I see that being a lot more useful than a simple
column alias (you're correct that we'd need to support calculated
ones, which is indeed a lot harder).
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect decibel(at)decibel(dot)org