Patch for Delta Materialized View Refreshes

From: John Dent <denty(at)QQdd(dot)eu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Patch for Delta Materialized View Refreshes
Date: 2018-11-05 18:14:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi folks,

I failed to post a patch on the thread “Delta Materialized View Refreshes?” (Message-ID 1541368916681-0(dot)post(at)n3(dot)nabble(dot)com), so I figured I’d try again and post directly this time. Hopefully this time, it’ll make it through. Thanks for your patience.

(Original message follows…)

Hi folks,

I had a crack at this, and it was pretty simple to get something working to play around with, and it seems like it might be useful.

I developed it against 10.1, as that's what I happened to be working with at the time. The patch is pretty small, and I hoped it would apply cleanly
against 11. Unfortunately it doesn't, but I doubt the issues are substantial. If there is interest in moving this forward, I'll update and re-share.

The patch enables pretty much exactly what Jeremy suggests — something like "refresh materialized view concurrently testview where type = 'main';” — with fairly obvious semantics.

Welcome comments on the patch or approach.

denty.

Attachment Content-Type Size
refresh-mv-where-clause.diff application/octet-stream 9.9 KB