Re: datestyle question

From: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
To: Diego Gil <diego(at)adminsa(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: datestyle question
Date: 2007-09-26 22:22:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sep 26, 2007, at 3:42 PM, Diego Gil wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a file to import to postgresql that have an unusual date
> format.
> For example, Jan 20 2007 is 20022007, in DDMMYYYY format, without any
> separator. I know that a 20072002 (YYYYMMDD) is ok, but I don't
> know how
> to handle the DDMMYYYY dates.
>
> I tried and tried but I can't import those dates to postgresql.
>
> Any hint, other than editing file ?
>
> Regards,
> Diego.

Check out the following link that explains how Postgres parses date
inputs: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/x71187.html,
particularly section 1.c

The simplest thing I can think of in your case would be to do a
little bit of text processing on that field before inserting it. If
you simply insert dashes between the different fields so that you
have DD-MM-YYY then you can do

SET DateStyle TO 'DMY';

and then your copy should be ok.

Erik Jones