Re: jdbc works in java app, fails in servlet: "no suitable jdbc found"

From: philfrei(at)aol(dot)com
To: craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: jdbc works in java app, fails in servlet: "no suitable jdbc found"
Date: 2010-06-03 00:28:13
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Thank you for the reply!

>You need to preload the PostgreSQL driver...

Being new to this, I find myself second-guessing words as simple as
"preload". The servlet "NearbyTest" has a constructor and a single
method "doGet" which is invoked by an HTML page. As the first working
statement in the "doGet" method (at this point everything else is
commented out), I tried using the recommended statements. Both of them
elicited the same error message:

try {
// Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
this.getClass().getClassLoader().loadClass("org.postgresql.Driver");
} catch (ClassNotFoundException e1) {
e1.printStackTrace();
}

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.postgresql.Driver
at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.
java:1516)
at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.
java:1361)
at nearbyGPS.NearByTest.doGet(NearByTest.java:59)

---where nearbyGPS is the package and NearByTest is the servlet class.

As an experiment I tried importing the Driver class directly, e.g.:

import org.postgresql.*;
--and the form--
import org.postgresql.Driver;

These import statements both compile without complaint. But the same
error occurs. I'm afraid that there must be something rather
fundamental that I am missing. Is there another stage (prior to the
servlet's "doGet") at which the "preloading" should occur?

I just tried placing the recommended connection code in the
constructor, and get exactly the same error message and stack trace.

Eclipse has the option of right-clicking the project and selecting
"Configure Build Path". On this project, the PostgreSQL JDBC driver is
listed alongside the JRE and Apache libraries.

The stack trace indicates code that is part of Apache. Is there
possibly something that has to be configured in Apache that is missing?

Many, many thanks in advance.

>On 02/06/10 12:56, philfrei(at)aol(dot)com wrote:
>> Hi - I am new to Postgresql (and Eclipse and Tomcat--triple
threat),and
>> would have posted this question in the general section, but thought
it
>> might be more appropriate here since it concerns the JDCB.
>>
>> I have successfully installed and run some example programs from Core
>> Java II by Horstmann. I wish to connect to a database from a Java
>> Servlet, and tried using the same code and properties as is being
used
>> in a Java application program (which successfully connects to the
same
>> db), but am getting the following error when executing the
>> DriverManager.getConnection(url, username, password) code:
>>
>> java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver found for
jdbc:postgresql:gpsdata

>The JRE's JDBC is complaining that it doesn't know what to do with URLs
>of type 'jdbc:postgresql'. This means that the PostgreSQL JDBC driver
>hasn't been loaded.
>
>You need to preload the PostgreSQL driver, org.postgresql.Driver , to
>register it with JDBC so that JDBC knows to use it for 'postgresql'
URLs.