Message-ID as unique key?

From: Jerry LeVan <jerry(dot)levan(at)eku(dot)edu>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Message-ID as unique key?
Date: 2004-10-12 15:01:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
I am futzing around with Andrew Stuarts "Catchmail" program
that stores emails into a postgresql database.

I want to avoid inserting the same email more than once...
(pieces of the email actually get emplaced into several
tables).

Is the "Message-ID" header field a globally unique identifer?

I eventually want to have a cron job process my inbox and don't
want successive cron tasks to keep re-entering the same email :)

Jerry