Re: SQL from shell script

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: sarlav kumar <sarlavk(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsqlnovice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL from shell script
Date: 2005-01-14 18:46:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

Is there really NO WAY you could do this in perl or java? Database
interfaces in these languages are easy to use and designed to avoid the
types of stuff you are doing below. They are generally quite flexible
and mainstream. For perl, see
http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/htdocs/DBI/DBI.html as an example.

Another way to go about the problem is to direct all your SQL queries
into a temporary table and then use SQL COPY from that temporary table
to a file. You could then generate one large SQL command and push that
through psql.

Sean