SQL from shell script

From: sarlav kumar <sarlavk(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsqlnovice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: SQL from shell script
Date: 2005-01-14 18:36:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi All,

I have the following statements in my shell script:

echo $PGPASSWORD | psql -U $USER -h $HOST -d $DBNAME -c "select * from affiliate_batch where tx_dt < ' "$DATE" ' order by id; " > $1$DATE.1.txt

echo $PGPASSWORD | psql -U $USER -h $HOST -d $DBNAME -c "select * from affiliate_event where dt< ' "$DATE " ' order by id; " > $1$DATE.2.txt

I will be adding more statements in this file. I would like to know if there is a way to avoid specifying the connection everytime. I would like to make the connection once and then execute the set of SQL statements and disconnect from the database.

It would be great if someone could help me.

Thanks!
Saranya