postgres query log analysis?

From: "George Pavlov" <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: postgres query log analysis?
Date: 2006-10-09 18:13:23
Lists: pgsql-general

What do you all use for query log analysis for Postgres. I feel/hope
like there must be something that I am missing.

I have tried PQA (http://pqa.projects.postgresql.org/) and it is very
problematic, at least with the kind of application we have. Some of the
problems:
* not aware of prepared statements
(http://pgfoundry.org/forum/forum.php?thread_id=948&forum_id=24);
* giving faulty stats in several situations (possibly related to
prepared statements, but maybe some others);
* very slow on anything but "play" logs;
* seems to not be maintained lately (since 8.0?).

Pglog-analyze (http://opensource.pearshealthcyber.cz/) is an admirable
attempt, but it is very problematic too:
* incredibly memory-intensive -- I can at best process a few hours of
my production logs even though I have jacked up my PHP memory limit to
2.5GB
* gives out stats that seem way off on several accounts (subsecond
queries sometimes show as taking over a minute);
* seems to have similar to PQA's (if not worse) issues with prepared
statements.

Is there any other option? When you enable query logging in your PGSQL
logs what do you do with the output?

Thanks!

George